20 March 2013

There is much suffering in this world. Buddha had some useful things to say about suffering. Here is the key: you must have both compassion and dispassion. Compassionately see the suffering, do what you can, then dispassionately accept that there is suffering that cannot be ended. Almost 65 years in this life has demonstrated that people will get their suffering needs met, no matter what you do. Respect their need to suffer, and let them. The current situation is unsustainable. If our species survives, most of us will not make it through the turmoil which will cull the population to a sustainable level. The half a billion or less who do will develop a sustainable ethic and live more in balance with a finite planet with finite resources. I intend to continue to be a positive, hopeful, attentive, sentient, and high functional human being. If that increases my chances of surviving, then my outlook will have had survival value.
I did not create the Cosmos or set up its rules. But I can see the beauty and efficacy of it. Cosmic evolution does not tolerate dysfunction. Our home world will survive, with or without Homo sapiens.

No comments:

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...