16 February 2008

The Depths of Winter

The temperatures have been consistently below zero F for the past couple of weeks...with a few breaks. I've rec'd good news from my check-up...I'm good to go...but where? Cheryl has carpal tunnel surgery scheduled for 6 March and is looking forward to it with some trepidation. Three weeks minimum of immobilisation of her hands...she'll be my betsy-wetsy doll for that time. Then another three weeks of light duty 'til she can begin some exercise therapy. That puts us at about mid April, which is the average time for the ice to be off the lakes around here, and spring to really begin in earnest. Just think...there'll be asparagus poking through the soil, morels up with a bit of warmth...sunfish biting...what a great spring meal. Five months of winter is too much. I love my homestead, and the critters I've come to know and love who hang around on our land...from Shakespeare, the barred owl...to little black ears and downy...and Bucky...and all the rest of the herd of 15 who meander through, at times walking amongst us as we meander ourselves. The four cats...pogo, tigger, 'baby' and goldenrod...(the mom)...all fit in so well...they are friends with the deer and lay low when Shakespeare is about. Who knows what the spring will bring? I've still got some seeds to order from FedCo in Maine...I've got work to do in my shop when the temps stay consistently above 30 degrees F... Sugar Camps should be opening within two weeks...sap will be rising. I need to fall some trees which have grown so tall they obscure our solar exposure for the PV panels...it's mostly the balsam firs...they grow so fast and they just don't allow any light through. I love their pointy little heads... Playing guitar quite a bit again. The best therapy for the little hammer finger on my left hand...chording is a bit more of a challenge since I broke it last March... This country, this world, is in a state of flux. I wonder and I dream. I hope for the best for all of us, and wish for everyone to be kind to one another, respectful and sharing...how much is too much...can't we ever say 'enough'? Especially when so many go to sleep in hunger and fear... If someone does come along to bring us all together and to make the world a peaceful place...rumours will stalk him or her, 'they' will be killed...and more wars fought...because we fear peace and tranquility, equality and justice...why, that's downright communistic. "Where ya think ya live, boy?" I'm truly sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry today Bruce. After your last two I was begining to think you were too far gone. Glad to see I was wrong.FB41

lostinthewoods said...

Well...FB41, that's cuz you're still duped by the Reagan mystique, etc...

Peace on your homestead. I miss your comments.

Peggy said...

Enjoyed the post. You have a very talented way with words.

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...