22 December 2007

Conservation and Solar Energy

I originally had two small solar panels I purchased from an 'Energy Sciences' advert in the back of a Mother Earth News Magazine...about 1980/81...I'd fussed around with a 6 volt windcharger back in the mid 70s...and with these panels, it was a real 'wow' moment. When I built my current home, no mailbox, no phone, no electric...no bills...a postal box in town...those two panels and a large truck battery gave me a light in my bedroom, a light in the kitchen and a light in the 'living' room...a 12volt JVC combo SW/AM/FM dual cassette recorder/player and record player...and a 9 inch 12 volt tv...which gave me three channels...rambo, dumbo and bimbo...18 bucks a year for my property taxes, a root cellar/pantry for refrigeration...no meat unless it was killed that day...(an occasional rabbit/grouse/woodchuck/squirrel)... It was very freeing... My wants grew as my income grew, over time...many people mention to us how green we live...but, thinking back to those times...I really lived green, with a much smaller footprint... Can't turn back the clock, but I remember and kick myself back into shape every now and again. We've become much more spoiled over time. I remember thinking...not what I was doing without...but the luxury of what I had...no bills/no ties...no 9 to 5... Conservation is the key...and quelling our desires. I'm in the process of using more efficient products...such as LED lights...but, they are products, which means...they had to be produced...and there are ramifications in the production of anything. I think I'm lecturing myself as much as posting about conservation and solar energy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Down-sizing, a subject on which there seem to be no end of discussion groups, works better for me now I find than knocking yourself out to buy a new car or being able to afford that fancy bottle of wine with dinner. Slow food, slow lifestyle, and less needs are the key to a happy existance as one slides into the chrologicaly-challenged zone, I feel.

lostinthewoods said...

You and I agree, anonymous. As some become more aware of the local and global ramifications of their footprint, they will downsize...others will be forced to through a failing economy...voluntarily it can be spiritually and physically lightening our loads...forced by brownouts, fuel prices and debt, many will feel extreme pain. We give tacit approval to the policies of this (and other) administrations by continuing our consumptive habits.

lostinthewoods said...

I would like to add...we still have photovoltaics for our power system...but, with two new panels I've yet to install, we'll soon be up to producing a full Kw of electricity...which is a far cry from the simple days of two small panels...

One cup, one bowl used to be our mantra...Now I have a complete set of dishes...visitors rarely bring their own anymore.

Anonymous said...

Of course, if you have promoted a No Visitors policy over the last two decades, the one cup one bowl system works fine :) The big plus for us down here in Oz is the low heating cost in winter- looking at those pics with snow up to the windows makes me realise just what the fuel bills must be for those folk without access to firewood.
Great pics- I wonder just how many sunny days there are in winter there to run the solar system?

lostinthewoods said...

Y'know, anonymous...it's surprising how many people I know 'used to' carry their own cup and bowl with them most everywhere...

The snow up to our windows and covering the house adds insulation. We build a fire in the morning and usually don't add wood much after 2 PM...we wake to 68 degrees F...We have 50 acres, much of which is varied woods...ash, white and red oak, maple, ironwood, birch, red, white and jack pine, spruce, aspen and other poplars...and many fruiting shrubs and trees...we are rich in fuel wood and water...what drew me here in the first place, having been born and raised in the sonoran desert SW of the USA...

This is the darkest time of the year...when we need to be the most conservative...but our system is sized for winter...in the summer we have beaucoup power...for irrigation of the lower gardens/orchards/vineyards...and for irrigation of the upper kitchen garden...

We are rich in those resources. I've lived and worked in countries where people walked to a community well or pulled water out of the same stream which was used for a laundry...where firewood for cooking was a sparse commodity...

Solar Cookers for the people!!!

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...