10 November 2008

Veterans' Day

We were with our oldest grandson yesterday...he told us he didn't have school today (Monday) and I asked if it was because of Veterans' Day...he said, no...it's a 'deer hunting opening weekend' holiday. I wonder how many young folks (or older folks) understand why Veterans' Day is celebrated on November 11th? 1918, the Armistice had already been decided at 0500 on 11 November, the war was over...although the official time was set for the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month...between the time that the outcome of the war was decided and the actual time came...11,000 troops were killed...and countless others wounded, amongst them a young german corporal: Hitler is recovering from blindness induced by gas attack at the end, he later writes in "Mein Kampf" that it was at this point, that he swore that the dishonor of the German surrender must be "erased, eradicated, and, therefore, I shall devote my life to that." I guess he meant it.

No comments:

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...