07 November 2008

Why so much hate?

In Minnesota, where I am, there is no shooting allowed for 5 days prior to deer season opener...which is tomorrow morning. As a fact, no rifles are allowed in the woods for 5 days prior to the season. Well...I live in the midst of a state forest on 50 acres...and was walking in the woods this morning...when shots rang out...close... just to my north...echoing through the draw. I made sure my wife was okay back at the house, grabbed my cell phone, some bright clothing and went to the pickup...drove out my driveway and onto the township road. A new SUV pulled out of the forest about 1/4 mile north, drove across the road and into the forest on a trail...I followed, flashing my lights trying to flag them down. They spun out...and took off...a bat out of hell. I followed them to another trail which they turned onto...I knew it to be a dead end. Called the Conservation Officer, rec'd a dispatcher...gave them the license plate number. Was told it was relatives of a neighbor who lives a couple of miles north. Went home. Later in the afternoon I was driving down the road, when they came out of the forest...I followed them...they bypassed their relatives and kept on truckin'...I flashed lights, they pulled over. I recognised them and mentioned the shooting and that it was close to me and illegal. The older fellow ( a nefarious sort) got red as a beet and blew a gasket..."I bet you voted for Obama...you're an Obama lover..." And he continued to rant. His son, "You anti-gunners are all alike"...I told him I'm certainly not an anti-gunner...and even have a permit to carry...(they looked toward my belt)...The son, "Are you threatening us?"...No, but I did call the Conservation Officer and gave them your license number..."Whatever, asshole"...and they drove away. I'm a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I believe in ethical hunting...and a sense of the commons. Common Sense. http://www.backcountryhunters.org/

No comments:

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...