14 December 2007

I just finished 'The Road', by Cormac McCarthy

I have a very depressed hermit friend...I mean, truly hermit...who has no electricity, not even a 12 volt bulb...candles...a small cabin which up until a year ago had only a mexican blanket for a door...this in 30 below zero weather...an army cot and a dog...cuts firewood by hand for that day...often green. Artist, with beautiful drawings and paintings lying about on his floor, as if they were throw rugs. Anyway...he told me once that whenever he gets truly depressed he reads about Aushwitz...so that he realises he has it pretty good. I've never known it to cheer him up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just looked up this book and have now requested it from the library. Thanks

Just found your blog. I grew up in northern Minnesota (from age 10-17) on ten acres near Two Harbors with no electricty or running water. I wasn't too thrilled (putting it mildly) at the time with some aspects of it but now would love to live that way again if only I could talk my husband into it. Of course I would need enough wind/solar power to at least run my computer. LOL

lostinthewoods said...

I run my laptop from the power of our PV panels...a desktop would be too consumptive. We can simplify our lives and enjoy the freedom...or continue our consumptive ways and be forced to scramble for crumbs in a cold and dark 2500 square foot tomb...not to place a damper on things or to be too pessimistic, but with a simple lifestyle comes hope...and the knowledge that we are limiting our impact on the environment and voting no to the status quo and policies of our government...blood for oil is immoral...as is species decimation caused by our consumptive greed.

As I sit staring out of the window in the woods, birds flutter by...Veterans' Day 2023

 With wars and conflicts raging in multiple locations, I'm living in relative peace now.   I went to the Wikipedia page to see how many ...